What is hygge? According to the dictionary, it's a "quality of coziness and comfortable conviviality that engenders a feeling of contentment or well-being (regarded as a defining characteristic of Danish culture)"
I have been creating a hygge lifestyle ever since I discovered hygge about 4 years ago.
But the past couple of years have been difficult ones, and in many ways, this moment in time feels like starting over. So I am returning to my intention to live hygge, and create as many cozy moments as possible in my day.
Creating a Hygge Lifestyle
Recently, I read a post that reminded me that I was a bit off my game when it came to creating a hygge lifestyle. It was a post from Jenny in Neverland, called 40 Winter Self-Care Ideas.
I felt inspired to try several of her self-care ideas and having a day of hygge was one of them.
When I wrote about discovering her blog and post, I promised to report back after trying each of the self-care ideas I had chosen. My other two were to read and gather Christmas books and create a winter bucket list and a Christmas bucket list.
I also wrote about what an ideal Christmas would be like for me.
But I still hadn't managed to create a day of hygge, until yesterday.
My Day of Hygge
My goal of redesigning and creating a hygge lifestyle is still a work in progress, so I hope to have days that are even more infused with hygge moments in the future. But this was a great start!
Here's what I did...
(1) I had a slow morning routine that included a cozy meditation and a big cup of apple cinnamon tea.
(2) I watched The Christmas House, a new Hallmark Christmas movie from their Countdown to Christmas 2020 lineup, and LOVED it!
(3) I spent a good portion of the day reading. I finished one Christmas romance novel, and started another.
(4) I had Thanksgiving leftovers, and my son and I finished the sweet potato pie which I had with whipped cream. Yummy comfort is very hygge! :)
(5) I curled up in my comfy chair and watched several episodes of The Crown, finishing up season 1 and starting season 2, and then, watched a couple of episodes of Mr. Christmas, a holiday decorating show in Netflix, while I got ready for bed.
I stayed up later than I usually do, also a hygge indulgence, since I love to stay up late watching TV or reading.
It was a great day!
Have you had a day of hygge lately?
See you tomorrow!
P.S. The only cozy, hygge thing I love to do, but didn't do this time, and hope to do next time is light a candle or two.
Hi, I'm Jeanine
Author, hygge lifestyle blogger & connoisseur of delight writing about how to create a hygge lifestyle, with hearthcraft, comfy capsule wardrobe tips and cozy home decorating ideas. More here.