One of the things I love about winter is how much easier it is to live slowly, or to move at a slower pace. It’s a season that seems made for snuggling, and even the clothes we wear makes that easier.
I recently discovered Jenny in Neverland, and read a post of hers, called 40 Winter Self-Care Ideas.
It really inspired me to do at least 3 of those 40 ideas as soon as possible. And when I wrote about them here, the day I read her post, I promised to report back once they were done…
-have a day of hygge
-read and gather Christmas books
-create a winter and Christmas bucket list
Here’s my winter bucket list - notice the first thing on it…
(1) Plan a day of hygge at least once a week. Maybe as a Sunday self-care day kind of thing.
Hygge Lifestyle Tip: make your hygge day as simple as possible, so nothing about it feels like a chore. “I’m going to have a wonderful day, and LIKE it, if it kills me!” Yeah. No. We don’t want that.
Things my hygge day would likely include are: lighting a candle, making a cup of tea, wearing cozy clothes, cuddling up with a blanket as I read a book, watching a movie, eating my favorite comfort food meals, and hugging my son.
(2) Light candles, a lot of the time, even if I’m not having a hygge day, to infuse my winter with light.
(3) Plan meals that will feel nurturing, with plenty of protein, and lots of soups and rice, and food that warms.
(4) Get plenty of sleep. Create a bedtime routine that makes it easy to get ready earlier, like tea and reading, but only after I’m in my pjs and my devices are put away, etc.
(5) Try harder to have weekly connection times with my son where we eat a meal at the table, watch TV, watch a movie, or all three. Set a specific weekly time, so it’s harder for my son to float like a butterfly (which always stings like a bee - for you young ones, that’s a reference to a Muhammed Ali song).
And there you have it, my simple but filling winter bucket list.
What’s on your bucket list for this coming winter season?
See you next time!
Hi, I'm Jeanine
Author, hygge lifestyle blogger & connoisseur of delight writing about how to create a hygge lifestyle, with hearthcraft, comfy capsule wardrobe tips and cozy home decorating ideas. More here.